Thursday, August 28, 2008

Foot in the Mouth

Do you ever say something to someone who happens to be the exact inappropriate audience for your particular observance/remark?

Last night I came home from a disappointing softball loss. We were up 14-8 going into the final at bat and the other team essentially stopped swinging the bat and walked their way to a win. I'm not quite sure why some teams are so willing to take borderline pitches for walks in a co-ed slow pitch softball league. Swing the blippin bat.

Anyway... my legs have been bothering me more and more during the games. There are times they tingle like they are falling asleep but the biggest ache is in the back of my knees. I'm thinking if my legs continue to bother me after softball is over I may go to the doctor and have them looked at. So I'm moaning to the boyz about how much my legs are hurting and I look down to see the one paying the most attention to my rant is Thompson.

Ever since I adopted him, Thompson has been an inspiration to me. The loss of a leg hasn't slowed him down all that much and most of the time it doesn't occur to me that his disability does make him different from Theo and Diego. But while Diego's walk/run is a swagger and Theo's is a saunter, Thompson has to get around with a clunky clop. It's normal for a cat to have smooth, fluid, graceful movement. That isn't possible for Thompson any more. And as much as he tries to keep up with the other two, he really can't. Yet if Thompson really wants to do something, really wants to get somewhere, he will. And he, more than the other boyz, makes sure he lets me know how much he appreciates having a safe home to live in. He doesn't like visitors or the unexpected. The day to day routine, my showing up every evening (he's always the one waiting for me in a window) to provide food and face rubs, all that is his life now, Thompson lets me know matters.

So really Thompson didn't need to hear me whining about a few aches in my legs.

4 comments:

gottagopractice said...

Everything in life I need to know I learned... from observing my feline companions.

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

Smooches for Thompson. He is an inspiration to us all.

Mrs. Clemms said...

Sweetness! Yes, I am sure he is very appreciative for you giving him a forever home. I love reading about the boys!

Gizmo said...

Yep. Soemone said it looks like a lightning bolt once.