Thursday, May 22, 2008

Drained

For the past month or so I've noticed that the upstairs bathroom sink is extremely slow to drain. The same problem exists in my main level bathroom sink only the drainage in that sink has been a problem for well over a year. Since both sinks eventually do drain and since my home repair skills are limited to knowing how to change my furnace filter, I just kind of resigned myself to living with slow draining sinks. I was even able to talk myself into believing that this minor inconvenience has always been there and dreams of water flowing freely down the drain was just a part of my imagination.

Last night I finally decided to investigate the matter. I unscrewed the water stopper so I could have a better look down the drain. I had a pair of tweezers and I reached down to see what I could grab. To my surprise there was a ton of hair clogging the sink. I do not have very long hair and I don't wash my hair in the sink so it kind of surprised me to find so much hair. Then it dawned on me... those are the sinks the boyz like to drink water from and since the boyz's hair is everywhere in the house, it should have come as no surprise to find cat hair in the drain. The telltale sign was much of it was the length of Diego's fur which tends to be longer than my own hair.

I grabbed as much as I could with the tweezers but the water still didn't drain very well. So I got a chopstick and pushed the remaining clumps down as far as I could. Sure enough puddles of water do not form every time I turn on my faucets anymore.

Mission accomplished.

5 comments:

Karen Jo said...

Isn't it wonderful how cat fur can get absolutely everywhere? I am glad that you solved the problem of your slow-draining sinks. Now you know what to look for when it happens again.

Anonymous said...

We don't drink from the sink, or the toilet.... much.

Daisy said...

Can you just pour some Liquid Plum'r down there?

Moki The Wobbly Cat said...

Glad to here the problem is solved!

Ana said...

Hehe, this is too funny! Glad you found out and solved the problem! :-)