Friday, May 16, 2008

The Charmer

I recently read a response to a posting about black cats on the Feline Rescue blog that got me thinking. (Feline Rescue is the shelter I adopted all three of my boyz from.)

I responded to the post mentioning how lucky I was to find Diego-san. Katie mentioned that she almost adopted Diego before I did but settled on another cat. That got me thinking how truly fortunate I was to find both Diego and Thompson and later Theo. All three have added so much to my life that it is impossible to think what my life would've been like had we not found each other. I remember before I decided to adopt Thompson and Diego that I visited them at a showing at the local Petco store. I had almost made up my mind at that point, but didn't want to make too hasty a decision because quite frankly I was still mourning the loss of their predecessor (and my good buddy), Mr. Max.

When I got to Petco I wasn't even able to spend time with Diego and Thompson because a lot of people were visiting them. I noticed most people were paying far more attention to Diego and he was soaking it all in. I was impressed by how social he was but my decision was made because I knew the shelter wanted the two adopted together and I truly wanted to be the one to give Thompson a good home. After I got back home I immediately called the person in charge of adoption and committed to the two. I've never regretted that decision. Diego-san and I have had our moments over the last five years mainly related to who is in charge, but by the end of the day he is the one that makes sure I know he greatly appreciates his home.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

You think you picked Diego and Thompson and Theo? Nope, they chose you!

Unknown said...

I agree with Daisy. The boyz definately chose you. Oh and by the way - it is quite sweet that you think you are in charge : )

Katie said...

When I visited Diego, Thompson had just joined the foster home that same day, so they hadn't even met. I am so happy I made the decision I did because Diego got a chance to bond with Thompson, and then they found you!

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

All your Boyz are charming and have characters. You do know it's dillusional to think that you are in charge, don't you? Not with those kitties that you have in your house.

Denise said...

I was Theo's foster mom and we (at Feline Rescue) were extremely careful to find him the right home since he had already been injured in another home as a tiny kitten and because he seemed a little slow. We couldn't have been happier to adopt him to you since you were already known to be a wonderful caregiver for Thompson (with his special needs) and Diego.