Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hipster

I gave in to the hype and bought an iPhone. I wasn't one of those who stood in lines for hours, or slept overnight in front of the Apple Store. Instead I went around 8 p.m. (they went on sale at 6 p.m.) and strolled into a busy store and plopped down my $600.

Actually it was a very efficient process. I was greeted at the front door and told they had two express lanes at the back of the store for those who were ready to buy- and had several display models out throughout the sides of the store for those just looking.

I hadn't gone to the store intending to buy. I kinda just wanted to see the chaos and excitement. I admitted to myself however that when I actually saw the iPhone I'd probably be too weak to resist. So of course I ended up buying one sight unseen.

When Apple announced the plans for the iPhone several months ago I thought about buying one when they became available. I already was ready to buy a new iPod, having filled up my old one. And I didn't own a personal cell phone so it made some sense to buy the iPhone.

Is it all that it has been written up to be? Well, it's pretty darn cool. The internet touch screen surfing is great and the iPod is quite an improvement over what I had. The phone itself? Don't know, haven't tried it.

Being the first on my block with a new gadget is part of my history. I was one of the first to own a walkman when they came out when I was in junior high. I was one of the first I knew who owned a VCR as well.

And when it becomes trendy to own three-legged cats, I'll point proudly to my long relationship with Thompson.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Oh, you are so lucky! I want to get an iPhone, too! I am glad you didn't have to wait hours in line to get one.