Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tape Virgin

I'm making due this winter with a makeshift cover for my central air conditioner unit in my backyard. The cover my dad bought for me last year is disintegrating so all that remains are the sides leaving the top of the unit exposed.

The tarp I used to use to cover it with isn't in much better shape. In fact I tried throwing it out a month ago but it stuck in my garbage can so when the haulers came to empty my bin, it remained behind. I then decided to use this ripped up tarp to cover the top of the air conditioner.

The problem with this makeshift arrangement is the strap I use to keep the cover/tarp in place doesn't hold both pieces very well so when it gets windy out, I come home to find the tarp blown across my yard.

My solution to all this? Buy a new cover? Get out. I decided I would buy some duct tape and tape it all together and maybe even tape it to the unit. I've never bought duct tape in my life so yesterday when I stopped at the hardware store I didn't know what choices I would have.

I saw that the main differences in my choices seemed to be color and amount. As I'm wont to do, I decided to buy the cheapest roll that they had. I got home and looked at my purchase and noticed I had bought "duck" tape. Is there a difference? I do not know. Given all the choices and all the issues day to day life throws at you, I sometimes feel like Theo looks- deer in the headlights dazzled by all the surprises that need to be dealt with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Duct tape, mans best friend : )

I don't know why men are so enthralled with duct tape, it seems when they don't want to fix something properly, they just slap some duct tape on it : )

Of course, this doesn't pertain to you!